Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Why is Omega 3 Important for Kids?
Omega 3 fatty acids are essential fats that the human body needs daily. Your body cannot produce Omega 3 fatty acids on its own. Hence, you need to get it from the diet. The same logic applies to your children’s bodies.
Benefits of Omega 3 Fatty Acids
The use of Omega 3 fatty acids for your children’s body is multifold as mentioned under:
- They provide energy.
- They increase immunity.
- They maintain the health of the heart, lungs and blood vessels.
- They help in visual and neurological development in babies.
- They lower the risk of blood clot formation.
- They lower inflammation usually associated with asthma and rheumatoid arthritis.
- They improve sleep.
- They heal depression.
- They improve blood flow to the brain.
- They reduce the cases of allergies, respiratory illness and diarrhoea.
- They support healthy bones.
- They help in building new cells.
- They maintain psychological and behavioural conditions.
- They may improve the symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
As you can understand, Omega 3 fatty acids are necessary nutrients for your child’s overall development. Before we tell you how you can give them to your kids, it is important to know about different Omega 3 fatty acids.
Omega 3 fatty acids fall into three categories:
- ALA (alpha-linolenic acid)
- DHA (docosahexaenoic acid)
- EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid
ALA is available from plants while DHA and EPA are primarily found in animal foods and algae. Omega 3 with DHA is most important for the body. It is a primary structural component of the brain, the retina of the eyes and several other body parts. It is also known to protect mental health.
The main sources of Omega 3 fatty acids are fish oils, fatty fish, walnuts, chia seeds, soybeans, flaxseed oil and flax seeds. However, if your child’s diet doesn’t include these foods, especially fish and algae, then it is advisable to give Omega 3 in the form of supplements.
One of the most trustworthy brands for Omega 3 supplements is Fundoze. Its Omega + DHA supplements in the form of gummies can fulfil your child’s daily nutritional requirements for Omega 3 fatty acids. These immunity gummies also help overcome nutritional deficiencies. Available in delicious strawberry and orange flavours, Fundoze supplements are all-natural, gluten-free and yeast-free. They do not contain any artificial sugar. So, you can rest assured that these chewables are healthy for your children without any side effects.
Before you give any supplements to children, it is advisable to consult your child’s paediatrician. S/he will be able to recommend the right dosage of Omega 3 fatty acids based on your child’s health, weight, height and nutritional requirement.